Recently I met with a few seller clients that wanted advice on selling their unique homes. In Egg Harbor Township there are many developments where the houses are very similar and it’s very easy to determine market value. There are also many unique homes and properties that may be difficult to find any homes to compare with them. In the township there are waterfront homes, farm properties, historic homes and interesting mixed use properties. So how do you sell a unique property that’s not your typical cookie cutter home?
- First I like to take a look at what the highest and best use for the property would be. Is it on a large piece of land? Could it be subdivided?
- Then I like to look at who the potential buyer would be. Are their attributes of the home or property that would appeal to certain buyers? Is it in a waterfront location or close to parks and recreation. Determining the likely buyer can also help determine how they may position the value of the home.
- Look for similar properties. Do the best to find similar homes even if they are in another city nearby.
- I also like to help my clients evaluate if there are upgrades or improvements to the property that could be done to significantly improve the value of the property.
- Another option is to have an appraisal done on the property. This will help give you an idea of how the appraiser would determine value and then price the property close to the appraised value.
If you or someone you know has a unique property and you need help determining the value. Contact me for a free consultation. Best wishes, Matt